Virginia’s sales tax free weekend is Aug. 5-7
RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Each year in early August, and with the prices of essentials continuing to rise, Virginia’s sales tax holiday could not come any sooner.
Virginia’s Secretary of Finance says inflation is at its highest level since 1981. The tax-free weekend is expected to bring some much-needed relief to families.
The sales tax holiday starts Friday, Aug. 5 at 12:01 a.m. and ends Sunday, Aug. 7 at 11:59 p.m.
Below is a list of product categories on sale and what specific products are tax-free.
School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- School supplies for $20 or less per item
- Clothing and footwear for $100 or less per item
Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators for $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws for $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories for $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items for $60 or less per item
Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- Products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use for $2,500 or less per item
Click/tap here for a detailed list of what items qualify for the tax-free weekend.
Copyright 2022 WWBT. All rights reserved.
Want NBC12’s top stories in your inbox each morning? Subscribe here.